Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Biscayne

On June 19th, while Chris and I were exploring in southern Saskatchewan, we got permission to enter an old scrap yard and photograph a bunch of the old vehicles and machinery.  I found it somewhat overwhelming as there was so much stuff there, it was difficult to key in on anything.  Most of the old iron had suffered some sort of incident that resulted in damage, so a careful selection of vantage point and composition was in order to try and show the best angle.  Feeling somewhat frazzled I think I only did four set-ups with the big camera at this location, and this is one of the better ones.
This negative was part of the batch of Ilford FP4 4" x 5" sheet film that I rated at 160 iso and gave N+1 Development.  Once again, development was in Kodak HC-110 Developer, Dilution B, for 14:20 minutes at 20C.  This combination of slight underexposure and significant over development yields a negative with a lot of contrast.  It is ideal for situations where the lighting is rather flat, and the subject brightness range reduced.  That was exactly what I encountered when I came across this old Chevrolet Biscayne.
I shot this at about 4:00 in the afternoon with my Ebony view camera and a Schneider 135mm lens.  The exposure in daylight was relatively straightforward...  F20.0 and a shutter speed of 1/30 second.



No comments:

Post a Comment