Thursday, December 7, 2023

Wilcox Pass

Back in August, Margarit and I hiked up to Wilcox Pass in Jasper National Park.  This is a rather challenging hike, particularly when carrying a 4x5 view camera.  The hike was about 5 miles round trip, and had an elevation gain of around 1000 feet.
To lighten my load a little bit I carried some ReadyLoad and QuikLoad film packets, rather than the heavier sheet film holders. I don't have much stock left of these convenient packets and was forced to shoot only with Kodak Tmax 100, Fuji Neopan Acros 100 and a couple of sheets of color.  
This particular shot was taken on August 27th at about 3:00 in the afternoon, on the Acros film stock.  This was part of the batch that I recently developed in Rodinal 1:50.  I shot this with my Ebony 4x5 view camera and a 90mm wide angle lens.  A #25 Red Filter deepened the value of the sky a little, and helped to increase contrast.
I originally thought that I had lost this shot because the version I shot on Tmax 100 was blank, and I was fairly certain I'd accidentally double exposed this one on color film.  But, it turns out I got the shot after all, and I think it was the best one of the day.



No comments: