Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Working On Sunday

I was awake before dawn on the morning of Sunday December 17th, and surprisingly the soreness from hockey the night before was already gone.  Dawn is not particularly early at this time of year.  It was actually around 8:00AM when I woke up, and the sun doesn't even break over Eagle Peak to the south until around 9:30AM.
It was -11 when I got up... quite a drop from the evening before... it was around +3 when I played hockey.  But during the day, with the sun out and nice blue winter skies, the temperature again got up to about +2.
I got a fire going in the guest cottage to take the chill out.  I don't keep the electric furnace turned up all that high when no one is around.  Then I assembled a firewood rack that I brought out.  After that I set to work on hanging the two bedroom doors.
I found this rather awkward and frustrating.  I discovered that I did not rout the hinge rabbets quite deep enough when I built the doors and the jambs, and the doors were binding a little.  The rabbets all had to be cut out a little deeper with a chisel... a rather slow and tedious process.  It is also rather awkward working alone to try and balance the door and screw the hinges on properly.  By now I am used to working alone, and have done most of the work in the cottage that way.  It takes longer, but eventually I get it done.
While I was working on the second door my ex-neighbor Dan dropped by to say hello.  He is doing well, and it was nice to have a short visit.  I hope to have time to pop by and visit him at the new place he is building, later in the week.
It was about 4:00 in the afternoon when I finally finished both doors, including the strike plates for the latches, and the stops.  A little touch up painting will be in order before I can consider the job complete.  After that, before calling it a day, I pulled out the fridge and installed the ceramic tile behind it.  The kitchen tiles are now ready for grout and I can move on to the bathroom backsplash in the coming days.
The project continues to wind down and other than tile, it is mostly just cleanup that remains....





No comments: