Sunday, December 3, 2023

Wrapping Up in Nordegg

On November 22nd I awoke to some fresh snow.  There was about 3 inches of the stuff, and it was considerably colder than it had been the day before.
I started out in the morning working in the guest cottage.  I cleaned up much of the junk and tools and supplies that I had accumulated in the east bedroom.  I cleared out about half of the room and installed floor filler on all the joints and screw holes in that half of the subfloor.  At one point, about mid day, I took a break from work and made a run over to the dump.  I had a couple of bags of garbage, plus a whole bunch of flattened cardboard boxes from the cleanup.  Once this was out of my way, I went back to work.  During the course of the day I got some additional ceramic tiles installed on the kitchen backsplash.  The only tiles left to install are a few behind the fridge, and the ones around the bathroom vanity.  I also got vinyl floor tiles installed in almost half of the east bedroom.
Later in the evening I put a ham in the oven to roast.  A neighbor came over and we discussed the Land Use Bylaw Rewrite that is being undertaken by Clearwater County.  I previously applied for a seat on the Public Advisory Committee, but was turned down.  The County bylaws are over 20 years old and appear to have been selectively applied.  It is time that the County is taken to task and forced to put some improved bylaws into place, and then actually enforce them.  Although I am not a committee member, myself and a few other neighbors are trying to take an active role and lobby for improvements.
Later in the evening I enjoyed the baked ham and watched the Oilers game on TV.  Once again they shit the bed, this time losing handily to the Carolina Hurricane.
On November 23rd I initially awoke well before dawn, but then eventually dozed off and slept in a bit.  It had continued snowing for most of the past 24 hours and accumulation was now to about six inches.  I started out the morning working in the guest cottage again.  I put away a bunch more stuff and moved things around so that I could continue with flooring installation in the east bedroom.  I ran out of floor filler before I finished the last little bit and had to resort to using some wood filler that I had on hand, to finish up.
The skies cleared and the sun came out and the temperature rose to about -1C at the warmest point in the afternoon.  I went out for a short drive with the big camera and took a couple of shots out along the Trunk Road, north of the David Thompson Highway.  I saw a herd of four wild horses along the road and managed a couple of snapshots with my digital camera.  Through the summer months I have rarely bothered to take my Nikon D810 out with me, and have mostly relied on my phone for taking snapshots.  But the larger digital camera provides better image quality, and I have some lenses of longer focal length.  
It was about 3:30 when I finished up with the cameras and a brief beer run in town.  I went back to work in the guest cottage in the late afternoon.  The filler was now dry, so I vacuumed the floor and installed that last 50 or so floor tiles.  I'm glad that this part of the project is now complete.  My hands are just raw from being subjected to flooring adhesive, the adhesive cleaner, and peeling the paper backing from all the tiles.  Although the tiles I have are self-adhesive, they don't bond very well to the particle board subfloor that I used, so I also used adhesive.  It was a long and very tedious project but it is now done, and the results look very good.
I have to head back to the city now that the bulk of this work is done.  It will just be a quick clean up and packing on Friday, and then I will hit the road for home.  I hope to come back out sometime in early December to carry on with the installation of trim, casing and baseboards.  Hopefully Margarit can join me next time.












No comments: