Friday, December 29, 2023

Relaxing

December 28th was a pretty low key day out at the cottage for Margarit and I.  I did a little work in the guest cottage during the early afternoon.  The construction stuff is all done now, but there is some clean up that remains.  
I used some Xylene and cleaned the excess glue from the floor tiles in the west bedroom.  I still have to do this in the rest of the cottage.  I also did a little caulking around a couple of the windows.  By my own admission I am the worst caulking applicator in the world, so I tend to tackle this job in small batches... and hope for the best.  I still have more to do around the remaining windows, and between the ceramic tile backsplash and the counter tops.
When I cut up some picture frame stock a couple of weeks ago, I messed up a few pieces.  So I set up the chop saw one last time and recut what I needed.  From now on the chop saw will no longer be used inside the cottage.  I will need to store it inside until I can build a storage shed next spring, but I will no longer use it in side.
Hank and Margarit went out for a long walk while I was doing the cleanup.  We also had Hank out in the yard running around, for a good part of the day.  Later we took him out again for another short walk.  And, he got a lot of attention from the two of us.  By the end of the day he was pretty tuckered out as this was a lot more than he is used to back home.  At one point he just crashed on the floor in front of the wood stove.
I made us a nice dinner in the evening.  This time around it was a batch of chicken enchiladas with Mexican rice on the side.  I continue to refine my recipe and now add black beans and corn to the dish, and I serve it with shredded lettuce and some hot sauce on top.  It turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.
It was a beautiful fall like day and the sun was out for most of it.  It was a little breezy at times, with the wind gusting to as much as 15kmh, even here in the trees where we are sheltered.  But the temperature peaked at about +8C in the afternoon, and what little snow we have, melted quite a bit.  By early evening an almost full moon was on the rise and the glow of moonlight in the forest was pretty amazing.




No comments: