Friday, March 11, 2022

Wednesday Work Day

I had a bit of an upset stomach on Tuesday night, probably from my lousy cooking, and even though I was exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before, I didn't sleep very well.  I ended up sleeping in until about 9:30.  But it was just as well, as the temperature overnight dropped to -18C.
It was clear and sunny and by late morning it finally started to warm up.  I got over to the guest cottage around noon and got a fire going to warm it up a bit.  Then I went to work.  I installed two more of the pendant lights in the main living area, and finished up a little more trim at the ceiling ridge.  I had to maneuver the scaffold around the wood stove in order to get access to the third light.  I also finished up the ceiling trim around the chimney.  By late afternoon it had warmed up to about -5.  So I put up a temporary outside light above the door, and then installed the yard light on the other side of the cottage.  That fixture didn't fit very well onto the box that I had and I will have to pick up a different one and redo this.  Hopefully by that point the fixture that I have on order for above the door will also be available.  But I was able to energize this fourth circuit and make sure that everything is working.  Not only do the outside lights work OK, but my exterior receptacles are now energized as well.  I checked all of the receptacles that I have energized both inside and out with a circuit tester and everything is good.  I probably won't bother energizing any more stuff right now until I finish more of the walls.  But at least there is ample power to work inside properly without an extension cord.  And, with power in the crawlspace my mechanical contractor can now get started on the plumbing and heating rough in.
Before quitting work for the day I started taking down the scaffold.  I didn't take it down completely as there is a little more trim work on the south gable that I need to finish up.  But, before I head back to the city, it will come down.  I bought a ten foot step ladder and brought it out with me.  This will be adequate to access most of the higher stuff, and I hope that the scaffold can stay down for good...!
In the evening I headed over to the outside rink in town to play hockey.  There is a scheduled men's shinny game every Wednesday and Saturday night.  In recent weeks it has either been too warm or too cold for hockey, but this time it was perfect... about -10C.  Unfortunately only one goalie showed up, but there were ten or eleven skaters.  There were a bunch of locals from up in the subdivision, plus a handful of guys from Frontier Lodge and from the Bighorn Reserve.  We started at 7:00 and things didn't wind down until 9:30.  There is nothing better than hockey under the moonlight in the mountains.  The rink has boards, and lights, and a heated change shack... but the moon was out too.  I'm sure with all the fresh air and exercise today, I'll sleep a lot better.






No comments: