Saturday, March 12, 2022

The Scaffold is Down...!!

My muscles were pretty tired from all the skating at the outside rink... but I slept pretty well.  It didn't get as cold over night this time, and was only about -8 when I got up at 8:30.
I got busy next door in the guest cottage and before I knew it, the day was done.  But I got quite a bit accomplished.  
While the scaffold was still in place I finished up a little more of the trim on the south gable, around the plumbing vent.  The really high part is now done, and I can finish the rest lower down, from a ladder.  I can't really do that part right now, until the aspen paneling is installed on the lower wall.  I also made some adjustments to the three pendant lights on the high ceiling.  The ones the lighting store sold me are not really suited to a sloped ceiling.  I had to make a proper hanger out of a chain link and an eyelet.  That all worked OK, but the ceiling canopy and the lock fitting that hold it up, didn't really allow the downrod to hang straight.  I ended up screwing the canopies to the ceiling, and hopefully once the glass globes get installed there will be enough weight for the lights to hang straight.
Once this was all done I dismantled the scaffold and took everything down.  I stored the planks in my crawl space and the frames outside for now.  I returned the wheels and one extra plank to my neighbor Dan, who had loaned them to me.  With the scaffold out of the way I tidied up in the cottage and made some working space for the next steps.  I have a load of particle board subfloor material being delivered and will need to store this inside when it arrives.
It sure feels good to get rid of that scaffold...!!  If I never have to climb it again it will be too soon.  I think I must have been up and down that thing a couple of hundred times between electrical rough in, insulation, vapor barrier, aspen paneling and light fixtures.  The new step ladder that I bought should be adequate for any future access.







No comments: