Monday, March 7, 2022

Neopan Acros 8x10 in Rodinal

This is a scan from an 8x10 negative that I recently processed.  I had to crop it slightly, due to some damage on the right edge.  Although this is possible with a scan, or even with a darkroom enlargement, it is not an option when contact printing.  As I don't have the facilities to enlarge 8x10 negatives, and can only contact print, this one is not an option for printing, at least for now.  I believe that I have a duplicate negative of this one, yet to be processed, so perhaps that one will be a little better.
This is Fuji Neopan Acros 100 processed in Rodinal developer, 1:50.  I ran this one on my Jobo Processor for 9:45 minutes at 24C.  I shot this one in January of 2021 with my Chamonix 810V view camera and a Nikkor 240mm lens.  A focal length of 240mm in 8x10 format is a slightly wide angle lens, roughly equivalent to a 40mm lens in full frame digital or 35mm film.  A red filter was used to deepen the sky values, darken the shadows, and increase contrast a little.  This was taken down in the badlands of the Red Deer River Valley, not far from my shop in East Coulee.
Unfortunately this wonderful film was discontinued a couple of years ago.  Then Fuji came out with a new version they called Acros II.  But, so far that is only offered in roll format, and is no longer made as sheet film.  Like so many others, I will be able to keep shooting until my current stock runs out, and then will have to make due with the dwindling options that remain.



No comments: