Sunday, September 22, 2024

Saskatchewan... The Return Visit

On Sunday September 15th, Margarit and I left East Coulee and headed southeast for Saskatchewan.  I had such a great time back in June, when Chris and I toured around, that I had to make a return trip.  Margarit heard all about it, and saw some of my photos, and wanted to experience it as well.
We cut across country from East Coulee, and eventually made it down to the Trans Canada Highway near Brooks.   We made a stop in Medicine Hat, and picked up some groceries there.  The thought was that things would probably be a little less costly in Alberta.... not sure if that was correct....?
As we traveled east on the Trans Canada Highway through Saskatchewan, I had an unfortunate incident.  I didn't notice that the speed limit dropped from 110kmh to 80kmh as we went through an intersection near Gull Lake.  Of course there was an RCMP cruiser hiding down in the weeds in the ditch, and he came out after me with lights flashing.  I was clocked doing 120 in an 80 zone, so 40 over the speed limit.  I was presented with a speeding ticket for in excess of 500 dollars.  To add insult to injury, the young french officer insisted on administering a breathalyzer test.  Of course I had not been drinking anything since the night before, so this did not result in any further issues.  But it really spoiled the mood of the day and put a damper on the start of our trip.
Margarit and I stopped for something to eat in Swift Current, aka Speedy Creek.... and then turned south on Highway 4 to Cadillac.  I had rented the same apartment that Chris and I had stayed in three months prior.
Sadly the Cadillac Hotel had closed about four weeks prior, and was up for sale.  Its a good thing Chris and I were able to document it for the Beer Parlour Project when we did.  But it would have been nice for Margarit to experience the place together.  Sadly that was not possible..... and the residents of the village really are upset about being left without their local gathering place.  I'm told the asking price is $225k, so hopefully someone comes forward with an offer, and makes a go of it.  I understand that just before it closed, the owners had completed renovating the rooms and were about to make them available as short term rentals.






No comments:

Post a Comment