Friday, September 20, 2024

Renegades - Winter Hockey 2024/2025

Once again I find myself managing the Renegades Hockey Team.  I don't really mind it, as I seem to have this need to be in charge.  No one else wants the job, and it's probably the only way that an old slug like me will be permitted to remain on the roster.  If I do the managerial work, the guys kinda have to let me play.  I'm 61 years old at the start of the season, and will be 62 before the playoffs wrap up in the spring.  I think I'm one of, if not THE oldest guy still playing in the league.  Most of the players on the Renegades are between 20 and 35.  We have at least one guy in his 40's and another around 50.  Most of the other teams that we have played against are of an age similar to the younger guys on our roster. 
Once again we are playing in the Alberta Mens Hockey League.  The league dates back 40 years to the early 1980's but for quite some time has allowed women to play as well.  We have one woman on our team this season, and a few others teams, mostly in the lower divisions, do as well.  This year there are 12 divisions... an elite division, plus divisions 1 through 11.  We are starting the season in Division 8.  We played our first game on Thursday September 5th and defeated a teamed called the Ratts, by a score of 8-5.  We played our second game September 12th and lost a close one to a team called the Rogues, by a scoe of 6-4.  Most of the teams that we have played against in previous years are one division above us now.  I think this seeding in Division 8 is a better fit.  We shall see how the season progresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment