Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Back at It

On August 30th I headed back out to Nordegg.  I really haven't been out all the much through July and August.  Those are the busy months, and there are a lot of people around, so it is not as nice to be out then.  Plus, I had a lot of things on the go... mostly photographic... and kind of took a break from working on the guest cottage.  Now that summer is drawing to a close, and the kids will all be heading back to school, I'll start coming out more regularly, and get back to work.
I brought 36 more of the aspen boards out with me this time.  There are only a handful left in storage at my Mom's place... around 25 or so.  I'm not sure exactly how many more I'll need to finish, so I won't haul the last of them out, or finish them with lacquer, until I get a more accurate count.  There are only five walls left to do, and I already have a bunch of boards finished and ready to go.
I didn't leave the city until the early afternoon, and had to make a stop in Rocky Mountain House for fuel and groceries.  So I didn't arrive at the cottage until late afternoon, and didn't really do anything other than unpack.  On Wednesday the 31st I got up early and got to work.  It was back to the old routine of finishing aspen boards.  But I also worked outside for a while and got to work on splitting some firewood for winter.  It was a beautiful sunny day, and the temperature peaked at 32C in the mid-afternoon.  I worked in stretches on splitting wood, but when I started to get too warm, I switched and went into the guest cottage and worked in there.  It stays fairly cool indoors at this time of year as the nightime lows get down into single digits.
I also built a mold for Margarit.  She wants to try using epoxy resin to cast some small tabletops.  Her first attempt will be an experiment, to get used to the materials.  She wants to cast a bunch of small pebbles that she collected up at Blackstone about a month ago.  So I made a square mold out of some scrap lumber that measures roughly 16 x 18.  We'll give it a try when she comes out.
Margarit and Anna are going to come out for the long weekend.  Hailey and Helena have decided to stay home in the city.  Margarit's sister Natalia is visiting from Washington and will also come out.  Her brother Shawn and his girlfriend will join us.  So, we will have a larger group for a couple of days.  They all have to head home after the long weekend but I plan on staying a few extra days to get some work done.






No comments: