Saturday, September 17, 2022

Last Full Day of Work for a While

It has been cooler in Nordegg since the long weekend.  Not really any rain to speak of, but it did spit a couple of times.  Night time lows have been down near freezing, and we even got a light frost one night.  Daytime highs have been up around 15 or so... very comfortable for working.
On Thursday September 8th I put in another full day of work.  This will be the last one for a little while as I have to head back home to the city for a few days, on the 9th.  But I managed to accomplish almost everything that I had on my long "To-Do" list.
I didn't work at all in the guest cottage today.  With the completion of most of the paneling yesterday, I wanted to take a break.  First thing in the morning my contractor's helper showed up with his big track hoe.  He leveled all of the fill that was brought in a month ago.  This will permit the siding crew to set up the manlift and complete the exterior siding.  They didn't get to it today, but hopefully tomorrow...
Then I dug out my chainsaw and cut up three and a half big trees into stove lengths.  Two were spruce that came down a couple of years ago.  The third was also a spruce, that came down earlier this spring.  The fourth was a poplar, that came down in a big wind last night.  I moved all the logs over to my pile so that they could be split, along with the other big pile that I have been working on.  Then I worked for a few hours and split a bunch of wood.  I finished a large pile over by the garage the other day, but starting stacking on a second smaller pile in front of it.  Then I also started a third pile, mostly of the fresh green wood, over by the guest cottage.  This will have to be dried for a while but can be used eventually for the stove over there.
Later in the afternoon I jacked up and leveled the two landings on the main cottage.  They are free standing on concrete deck blocks and the ones closest to the foundation settled a little.  When this was done I replaced the wind speed cups on my weather station that were damaged in the recent hail.  After that I just tidied up.  I put away all my tools, as well as the chainsaw, the logsplitter and the BBQ.  A very productive day, to go with a very productive week. 





No comments: