Saturday, September 24, 2022

The Collieries

Arturo and I arrived out at the cottage on Friday afternoon, at about 4:30.  We got all of our camera gear and groceries unloaded and put away.  A short time later Scott showed up with his skid steer and unloaded the appliances for me.  He also picked up the tires that I brought out for him.  By the time this was all completed, it was about 6:00PM.  It was a sunny and warm day turning to a beautiful evening, so Arturo and I decided to head over to the golf course in town.  When we arrived by about 6:30 the clubhouse was already closed.  We just walked onto the course thinking we would play two or three holes for the practice.  But we managed to get in eight holes before the light started to fade too much.  We later learned that we were supposed to sign in as after hours players.... who knew...?  
Saturday was forecast to be a little unsettled and showery... but it was not.  It was mostly sunny all day and the temperature got up to the high teens.  Arturo and I rode up to the mine site on the ATV.  We parked in the trees and walked in to the site with our cameras.  Normally the historic site is only open by guided tours.  They were shut down through Covid, but for the third year in a row they remain closed.  I attempted to book a private tour earlier in the year but was told that there are no staff hired at this time.   So we respectfully wandered into the site and took a bunch of photographs of some of the old buildings and contents.  It was a most enjoyable day, and I actually used all of the film holders that I took with me... a total of 24 sheets.
When we got back to the cottage we decided to play another round of golf.  Someone from the course that had seen us the night before left a note on my truck about paying for the walk-on round.  We had every intention of doing that when we returned, and we did.  I really enjoyed the golf, but played a terrible game and I won't even mention what my score was.  It was an embarassment, and even higher than the first round I played with Eric a couple weeks back.
In the evening back at the cottage we put together a nice dinner of BBQ'd steak with baked potatoes and salad.  We had a glass of wine with the meal, and then a few more drinks as we visited through the evening.















No comments: