Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Working Saturday

I generally lose track of what day of the week it is, now that I'm retired.  I just do whatever I feel like doing, and the only thing that reminds me that there is any sort of routine are the school days for the girls.
On the morning of Saturday April 2nd, Shawn and Lisa left Nordegg and hit the road for Edmonton.  I was out at the cottage by myself, and planned to stay for a couple more days.
Shortly after they left it started to snow.  I thought that when March went out like a lion that might be the end of it.  But, I should know better as here in the mountains it can snow any month of the year.  The day started out sunny and clear and held a lot of promise, but the snow took that away.  Originally I thought I might work partway into the afternoon and then head out with my cameras for a while.  Although the skies eventually cleared by early evening, it didn't get very warm, and was only a few degrees above freezing.
I worked all day in the guest cottage and actually had to light a fire to take the chill out.
I applied primer to one of the pieces of plywood that I had previously cut for backing in the shower.  I was only able to install the one panel, as I don't have my shower valve yet.  I need that in order to properly place it, and cut the proper size opening in the other panel.
Once that was done I went to work in the west bedroom.  I finished installing the aspen paneling to the ceiling, and then started on the paneling to the north wall.  Once I had finished around two of the electrical boxes I wired those in, and also the light fixture on the ceiling.
Still later I experimented and installed a piece of ceiling trim in the east bedroom.  This is balsam poplar and it is darker in color than the aspen paneling.  I can't put up any more of this right now, as I need to finish the fourth wall in order to carry on.
Finally, I applied some paint to some of the casing that had recently been delivered.  I finished enough material to install around two of the windows.  The paint we are using is "Robin's Egg Blue" and will also be used on the kitchen cupboards.  The interior doors and some of the trim will eventually be painted "buttercup yellow" to match our appliances and the dinette chairs.
I finally quit working around 6:30PM and my back and leg muscles were getting pretty tired.  But it was a good kind of soreness... the kind that comes with a sense of accomplishment.









No comments: