Sunday, April 10, 2022

Roll Film Processing

On April 9th I processed a couple of rolls of medium format film.  This was Kodak Tri-X Pan 400, developed in Rodinal 1:50.  Development was for 13:00 minutes at 20C.  One of the rolls was shot by my oldest daughter Hailey, using my Hasselblad Camera.  I think it dated back to late 2020.  The second roll was even older, from December of 2019.  This was a roll that I shot, using my Gaoersi 624 Panoramic camera and a Nikkor 180mm lens.  This format creates a negative that measures approx. 6cm x 24cm [2-1/4" x 9"], and you only get three exposures per roll.
The view finder of the camera is not particularly accurate.  I find it best to compose with the back of the camera open, and a ground glass placed over the film carriers.  Of course this has to be done before you load the film, and once the film is loaded, you can't open it to compose the next two frames on the roll.  So I did three shots of the same thing, slightly bracketing the exposure.  This is not ideal given the present cost of film... currently averaging around $15 per roll, and set to signficantly increase this year.
These large negatives are too long to print in my 4x5 enlarger.  I really need to get busy with that darkroom renovation and set up my 8x10 enlarger.  I've only been procrastinating for a decade and a half or so.  I thought I would get to it in my retirement, but so far that hasn't happened.  For now I have to make due with just scanning the film.
This shot was taken up at Abraham Reservoir west of Nordegg.  It was taken on December 1st 2019, and the lake had obviously not yet frozen over.  As this is very close to Windy Point, the ever present wind is obvious.  The mountain on the right is called Wapta Kista.



No comments: