Monday, April 18, 2022

Back at it on Good Friday

Once again it was cold when I got up in the morning, and there was a skiff of fresh snow.  Good Friday dawned slightly warmer than the day before, at about -13C.  I was lazy and sat around drinking coffee until late morning, when it finally warmed up a little.  Twice during the morning our resident Red Fox wandered through the yard and once came right up near the window.  Later I headed over to the guest cottage and set to work.
I redid the wiring to the furnace.  I mounted an electrical box on the furnace so that the flex cable could be properly attached.  Then I shut off the power, and working with a flashlight, installed the breaker in the panel and connected the cables at that end.  When I turned the power back on, all the other circuits still worked and no breakers popped.
I tried to temporarily wire in the thermostat so that I could have heat, but I didn't have the proper wire and couldn't get it working.  That was yet another frustration and set back, as that was one of my goals for this weekend.  I will have to attempt it again next time, when I have the proper materials.
With the wiring done as far as I could go I switched gears and carried on with some wood work.  I finished installing plywood backing behind the range, the exhaust hood, and the last of the cabinets.  I managed to dump a can of primer on the floor, but salvaged most of it.  Then late in the day I carried on with the drill that has kept be busy all winter.... applying lacquer to yet more aspen paneling.
During the day it warmed up to just above the freezing mark.  The snow began melting off the roof and dripped down in front of the door and all over my step ladder.  This reminded me that I really do need some eavestroughs.
I quit working around 6:00 and went back to the main cottage and started making dinner.  I was making another batch of my Beef Stroganoff.  Margarit and Anna arrived about 7:30, just as I finished up making dinner.  We enjoyed a nice meal together, and visited for a while.  But I was tired from working all day and crashed by around 9:30.







No comments: