Saturday, April 16, 2022

Challenging Day

Thursday April 14th was a bit of a struggle.  When I got up in the morning at first light, it was -15C.  I went over to the guest cottage around 8:30 and started a fire to take the chill out.  The temperature never got up above -7C all day long, and the sun never really came out.  In the early evening it started snowing.  Sure feels a lot more like winter than the middle of April.
In the morning, while I was waiting for the cottage to warm up, I connected with my electrician friend Rob.  He helped me to go through the wiring information for the furnace and the thermostat.  They are two different products from two different manufacturer's and the information does not totally agree.  Eventually we figured out what has to be done.  
Finally when the cottage warmed up a little, about 11:00AM, I set to work.  I was a little overwhelmed by the electrical stuff so I started on vapor barrier and paneling to the east wall instead.  I worked on this for a few hours and eventually got above the window.  Then I decided to unload the 40 lengths of aspen that I brought out with me, as well as four boxes of ceramic tile.  Once that was done, and everything was put away, I decided to take a stab at the electrical.  I HATE electrical and don't understand it very well.  All the different types of wire and connectors, and fasteners and components are very confusing.  I get help as much as I can, and stumble through the rest of it on my own.  It turned out that I don't have the right wire for the thermostat, or the right connectors for the supply cable.  I stumbled along and made some of the connections, and got as far as I could.  Late in the day I ended up putting a couple of coats of paint on some casing.
I felt rather frustrated about the whole day and didn't accomplish nearly as much as I hoped to.  Hopefully things go a little better tomorrow.  Not sure if I can do anything to get the furnace temporarily hooked up but will give it a try.  If that doesn't work out, then at least I have lots of finishing stuff I can carry on with.  It would be a little easier if it would just warm up....!  




No comments: