Sunday, April 25, 2021

Watercolor Day

The weather out at Nordegg has been kind of crappy.  The recent snowfall that accumulated to a couple of inches, mostly remains on the ground.  It has been cold and blustery.  It dropped down to about -10C on Friday night, and so far on Saturday it has only bounced back to about +1.
I didn't feel motivated to try and work outside in the cold, so I stayed in the cottage all day long.  I ended up doing three small watercolor paintings, and then on Saturday did one more.  The first one was the winter scene that I put up in a separate post.  That painting is OK, and it succeeded as a lesson in painting snow.  Later in the day I did two more paintings.  I'm not thrilled with either of them, but at least I'm beginning to understand some of the techniques.  I don't think I have the skill to ever become a realist painter.  I think I have to evolve into an abstract style, perhaps with some vivid and bright colors.  I am partially color blind and have trouble differentiating between greens, browns and greys.  I don't think I'll ever be able to master proper color mixing as a result.  So a departure from reality is probably a better option.  





No comments: