Thursday, April 1, 2021

Society of Canadian Artists

On March 30th I submitted my application for membership in the Society of Canadian Artists.  Like everything in my life, this was right down to the wire.  The deadline was March 31st, and I only began to put my submission together right near the end.  I attempted to submit last year, but with the sale of my business, and the onset of Covid, I was unable to meet the deadline.  I almost missed it again, but managed to sneak in just under the wire. Submissions are accepted from those wishing to become elected members of the Society.   This organization consists mostly of traditional artists such as painters, but there are also some photographers.  Submissions are reviewed on an annual basis by a jury.  If accepted I will become an elected member. 
I had to put together a selection of ten recent works, as well as some written documentation.  As I am completely self taught, I was not able to provide details of any artistic training.  But, I was able to outline my exhibition history in my CV.  I also included information on the artists collective, the Monochrome Guild, that I founded in 2002 and continue to manage.  I hope that I am accepted.
If my submission is approved by the jury I will be able to take part in group exhibitions.  I will also be provided with details on numerous submission opportunities.  I am also trying to engage and learn sketching and watercolor painting.  This membership, if granted, may afford opportunities for learning in these areas.  These are two of the ten images that I included with my application.  I expect to be notified by early May as to whether or not my application was successful.




No comments: