Saturday, April 10, 2021

First Watercolor

I've been meaning to try watercolor painting for years....  I bought a couple of brushes and a little paint about a decade ago, and never got around to it.  Work just got in the way, and I had so many other interests that just consumed the little spare time I had.  I recently started doing some sketching, and want to expand that a little to some painting.  I know it will be a bit of a challenge as I am partially color blind.  All of the "camo" colors, such as desert tan, army olive drab, grey, etc. look the same to me.  They actually all look green.  This is why I pursued Black and White Photography, as there were no colors to mess me up.
I recently purchased several DVD courses, including one on drawing and a second on watercolor painting.  I've been watching these and now felt ready to take a stab at it.
I headed out to the cottage on Friday afternoon.  None of the girls felt like coming along, so this ended up a solo trip.  The weather forecast for the weekend is not great, and so far on Saturday the temperature has only got up to a degree or two above freezing, and it is snowing lightly off and on.  A good day to work on some inside stuff.  I continue to putter away at installing the rolling door in our spare bedroom.  On Friday night, after my arrival, I attempted my first watercolor.  And now on Saturday afternoon, I am working on a sketch, and preparing to start my second painting.
This first painting is based on one of the lessons in the DVD course that I've been watching.  It is a very simple landscape.  Margarit recently bought me some watercolor supplies and I brought those along.  I also popped into an art store the other day and picked up a couple of brushes and a few supplies.  My paint set didn't include exactly the same colors that the instructor was using, but I had some pretty close substitutes.  This kept me from straying too far away from where the color palette should be.  I kind of messed up the sky a little, but otherwise this first attempt is not too bad... in my humble opinion.  I painted it to a size of about 6" x 8".  It turned out well enough to my liking, that I am encouraged to try again.



No comments: