Saturday, April 24, 2021

Fourth Watercolor

I headed out to Nordegg on Thursday April 22nd.  When I awoke on Thursday morning, after the photo daytrip, the weather had indeed taken a turn for the worse.  The temperature was just a degree or two above freezing, it was overcast and breezy, and there was a skiff of snow on the ground.  None of the girls felt like heading out to the cottage, so I went by myself.  I have a few little construction projects to work on, plus I also hope to find a little time for photography, watercolor painting, sketching, and guitar.
There was about four of five inches of fresh snow up on Saunders Ridge when I drove out to Nordegg.  But the highway was free of snow and mostly dry, all the way out.  At the cottage there was about two inches of fresh snow on the ground.  It stayed cold on Thursday, and Friday was no better.  The temperature barely got up to around the freezing mark.  The construction projects I need to work on require me to set up a thickness planer, tablesaw and chopsaw outside.  I didn't feel like doing that in the cold, so I set about working on another watercolor. 
Unlike other painting techniques watercolor requires no paint in the white areas, and just the paper is allowed to show.  This is a little different mindset then other types of painting.  In light of the weather, and wanting to work on this technique, I chose to paint a simple snow scene.  I think it turned out reasonably well.  This little painting is approx. 6" x 6".  I'm generally happy with my snow, but not thrilled with the little spruce seedling I attempted to paint in.



No comments: