Thursday, April 8, 2021

Easter Dinner was a bust

Hailey had to work on Saturday, so she drove out to the cottage to meet us on Easter Sunday.  I was hopeful that Annelise would decide to join her, but she did not... kind of sad...
On Friday night in advance of Margarit's arrival I made a batch of Manhattan Clam Chowder.  It was based on a couple of recipes I'd found online, and was OK, but not nearly what I was expecting.  I'll have to find a better recipe.  On Saturday night I made some Beef Enchiladas with Mexican rice.  It seemed pretty good and everyone enjoyed it... but on Saturday night I took sick.  It sort of seemed like food poisoning... which shouldn't have been a surprise given my cooking skills...!
But no one else was sick... only me.  I suffered with severe cramping in my stomach.  My back got really sore as well due to the muscles being strained compensating for the spasms in the front.  This lasted on a cycle of about every 30 seconds, for over 12 hours.  It was totally exhausting and miserable. The girls had to go ahead and have the Easter turkey dinner without me as laid in bed the whole time.  By late afternoon Sunday I was finally able to evacuate the contents of my stomach, and felt a little better.  But I was extremely sore, exhausted from not being able to sleep, and had a headache.  I slept through Sunday night on a heating pad, trying to keep my muscles from tensing up.  By Monday I was beginning to feel a little better and start eating solid food again.  I really have no idea what this was, but it felt pretty awful.  The fact that no one else in the family got it, is very strange.
On Monday afternoon Margarit packed up and headed back to the city.  The other two girls and I stayed out for a bit longer.  It is extremely busy out here in the subdivision with lots of other people out for the Easter weekend.  Lots of new people are out, beginning to clear their lots and getting geared up for construction.  We will soon be joining them as we start on our property next door in the coming days.  Internet reception became overwhelmed and nothing really functioned properly due to volume.  By Monday afternoon it was noticeably quieter as a lot of the neighbors packed up and headed for home.
On Tuesday, a couple of work crews came out and started clearing two nearby lots.  One was the lot right across the road from our new property, and the other was a few lots further west.  There was a lot of noise and commotion as an excavator was pulling down trees, and a mulcher was pulverizing them.  Unfortunately we no longer have a view of pristine forest across the road from our place.  Many of the trees were left standing, but a building site was cleared and an approach road was created.  We can now see the town of Nordegg through the trees, about a mile or so away.
I spent most of the day Tuesday cleaning up around the cottage and packing up after the stay of a week.  Helena and I headed back to the city, while Hailey decided to stay out for one extra day.





No comments: