Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Monday at Nordegg

The weather improved dramatically on Monday April 26th.  I was finally able to put aside my sketching and watercolor painting, and get some work done.  I cleared a path through the bush, making way through all the deadfall, over to the building site on our second property.  I also wandered around in the forest a little bit and admired all the mature trees, the game trails, and just enjoyed being outside.  It was a beautiful day and the skies were sunny.  By mid afternoon the temperature topped out at about +14C.
After I finished clearing brush I put my chainsaw away and dug my power tools out of the garage.  I brought along some pine lumber, and set about building some trim.  I can't believe how much the price of lumber has increased.  An 8 foot length of #2 grade 1x6 cost $11.  As recently as a year and half ago, it would have been about three dollars.  I used my thickness planer, tablesaw and chopsaw to prepare the wood.  I glued together a trim frame that will be used to mount an antique window into the rolling door in the cottage.  I also sanded out a piece of pine that will be mounted on the top of the door to conceal the rollers.  Then I cut up all the baseboards for our guest bedroom.  I had previously made and finished these, and had the stock ready in the garage.  Then I dug out my air compressor and brad nailer and installed all the baseboards.
I have that door trim all sanded out and ready to finish but unfortunately I didn't bring along any stain.  So the finishing and final installation will have to wait for another day.  Once that is installed then the finishing of the cottage will be complete.  The only things I have left to do will be to hang some pictures and decorations, and do a little touch up painting.  With work about to start on the construction of a guest cottage on our property next door, the timing couldn't be better.
Late in the afternoon, once the work was all done, I went for a ride around the subdivision with my ATV.  With the snow a few days ago, the trails are all pretty muddy.  But it was a beautiful afternoon to get out and do a little exploring.
In the early evening Hailey arrived.  She had decided to head out from the city and spend a few days out here with me.  With school being switched to online for the next couple of weeks, she can keep up to her classes from here.  She brought along her pet rabbit Joey, and the family dog Quinn.










No comments: