Saturday, April 10, 2021

Second Watercolor

The weather out here at Nordegg, was not great today.  The temperature only got up to about zero and it was breezy.  Skies alternated between sunny and overcast, and it snowed off and on all day long.  The snow was heavy at times, but there was no accumulation.  I understand that back home in Edmonton it is a much different story.  Margarit sent me some photos and I guess that since it started snowing this afternoon, there has been nearly a foot of accumulation.  Seems the roads might be an issue when I head for home on Sunday.
I spent the day in the cottage, close to the fire.  It was very comfortable and relaxing.  I worked a little on a sketch, and also on the rolling door.  But mostly I attempted a second watercolor.  I used the view out the back window as a guideline, but took some artistic license.  On those brief occasions when the sun popped out, there was some nice cross light and shadows on the ground between the trees.
I'm generally happy with this painting, which measure about 6" x 8".  I struggled with mixing the colors I wanted, and the palette ended up a little garish for my liking.  I couldn't mix the right color for the aspen trunks and think they came out way too green.  I probably spent four or five hours on this painting, including the times in between that I had to allow time for it to dry.  I learned quite a bit as I struggled with this one, and think the experience will help me to improve in the future.  Onward to better things and hopefully next time I can build on what I've learned.



No comments: