Monday, April 26, 2021

Second Sketch - Brush Hill

I grew tired of making a mess with watercolor, so after finishing my seventh small painting, I set the materials aside and went back to pencil sketching.  I bought some sketching supplies a few weeks back, and did my first one shortly afterwards.  The sketching kind of got set aside for a bit while I took a stab at watercolor painting.
This is is my second sketch.  I based it on a photograph that I took last year.  This is the old Brush Hill Reformed Church up in Minburn County.  I understand that it was built in 1916.  It has obviously been abandoned for some time, and the door and windows are boarded up.  The steeple is beginning to deteriorate fairly badly, and I wonder how much longer it will continue to stand.
This sketch turned out a lot better than my first one, and for that matter, a lot better than my painting attempts too.  Perhaps I should stick to sketching....?
I included a few snapshots that I took as the work progressed, as well as a photo of the finished sketch.  The photocopy of the photograph that I was working from, is also visible.
I started on this sketch quite some time ago, and then set it aside.  I returned to it on Saturday afternoon while I was out at the cottage by myself.  I continued working through Saturday evening, and finished it up on Sunday morning.
It seems the weather is improving now.  There was snow in the forecast last night, and we got a little, but it didn't accumulate.  It is supposed to warm up considerably for the next few days so I look forward to getting outside.  I can work on some of my projects around the property, and maybe get out with my camera for a while.






1 comment:

Off the Beaten Path with Chris & Connie said...

You know, that's not half bad. Was that from our together visit of the church?