Sunday, April 18, 2021

Freedom 58

April 17th was my 58th birthday.  It was a pretty low key day.  In the morning Margarit and I went over to her brother Shawn's place to help him move.  He was just moving from one suite to another within the same apartment building, so it was pretty easy.  
In the afternoon, I had a nap... something that is almost unheard of for me.  I have always been able to function with very little sleep and during my working career it was normal for me to get by on five or six hours.
In the evening Margarit put together a big BBQ dinner for me of steak, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and salad.  This used to be a very common meal for our family, but we haven't done it for a while.  It was delicious.
In my younger days I always hoped that I might be able to retire by age 55.  I ended up not quite making it, but I managed to come pretty close.  I sold my business at the end of 2019.  I stayed on as an employee of the new owners through 2020.  By late 2020 I was only going in to the office around once per week and shortly before Christmas I was able to fully retire.  I was 57 years old at that point.  Now that I have just turned 58, I've already been fully retired for four months.  I'm quite enjoying the slower pace of life.  The fact that we have three teenage girls at home, all still in school, instills a bit of routine into my life.  But for the most part, if feels like a weekend every day.  I'm loving it...!!

No comments: