Monday, August 26, 2024

Pumphouse

After visiting the Traunton bridge, and Alexo, and exploring the railway rockcuts, Chris and I stopped off at a couple of locations closer to home.  This would be the tail end of our lengthy ATV ride before heading back to the cottage.
We stopped at the old pumphouse, on an un-named tributary to Shunda Creek.  In recent years the beavers have dammed up the creek and flooded the trees, and the pumphouse.  I've always been curious about what this pumphouse was for...?  It was electrically energized.  It is a long distance away from the mine.  And although it is near the rail line, the Nordegg station was just a mile or two away, so the steam locomotives wouldn't have needed water here...?
Like a dog on a bone, I put Chris on the mystery.  He is the research King and always seems to find the answers to perplexing historical questions such as this.  Hopefully he doesn't let me down.
After the pumphouse we stopped off at the nearby small waterfall on Shunda Creek.  It was a great day, and a fascinating ATV ride, exploring a ton of cool stuff.  I know Chris enjoyed it as much as I did.
Once we got back to the cottage we met up with everyone and put together another big spread of food with BBQ's meat, baked potatoes, and all the fixings.  Life is good...!







1 comment:

  1. Currently researching that pump house. Found references to a logging camp very close to here (cutting mine timbers) but I'm not sure what they'd need with it. Otherwise, I've come up empty. So far anyway. Fun times exploring the area. -Chris.

    ReplyDelete