Sunday, August 4, 2024

Nordegg Historic Golf Course

On July 29th I booked a tee time at the Nordegg Historic Golf Course at 10:30AM.  The course operated back in the 1950's when the coal mine was running.  When the mine shut down, the course was abandoned.  It was eventually restored and put back into operation in the 1990's.  It is just a nine hole course, 1999 yards and par 32.  I bought a season pass last year and again this year, and have really enjoyed getting back into golf since my retirement.  I played ten rounds last year, and seven so far this year.
I generally avoid playing on weekends and try to book my tee times during the week, when it is quieter.  I was the only one on the course today, until I was finishing up the ninth hole, then I noticed one other group behind me.  I never use a power cart and always walk the course.  When it is quiet I play two balls so that I can play 18 holes while walking the course only once.  If it is busy, then I only play nine holes with a single ball.  Today I shot 45 with one ball, and 44 with the other.  If I counted the best ball of each hole, my score would have been 39.  
It was a little smokey today, due to all the forest fires.  The snapshot below is of my second ball teed up on the 330 yard, par 4, fourth hole.  I put one ball into the trees on the right, and the second onto the third fairway on the left.  Despite that poor start I managed to score 7 and 5.  I did much better on the 108 yard, par 3, eighth hole.  I used a seven iron for both shots and put one just off the green, and the other one three feet from the pin.




No comments:

Post a Comment