Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Oops!

I took this photograph of this old house back on June 15th 2024, at about 3:20 in the afternoon.  Chris and I were out on a road trip, exploring southern Saskatchewan.  This 4" x 5" Ilford HP5 negative was exposed at 320iso and I intended to give it Normal development.  I mistakenly mixed up the negative when I was unloading the film, and it ended up in a batch of the same film, that was exposed at 1600iso.  Those sheets were all images taken on Beer Parlour Project outings.  Shooting in low light and pushing the speed of the film requires significantly extended development.
Normally the stuff that I shoot at 320 iso get developed for just under 8 minutes, in 510 Pyro Developer, diluted to 1:100.  With the pushed film, the same developer is used, but the time is significantly extended to 30:00 minutes.  With this normally exposed sheet, that extra development resulted in a significant increase in contrast, not to mention a very dense negative.  It's surprising how much latitude film has and this negative is certainly printable.  It actually looks pretty good.  I shot another sheet of film at the same time, on Ilford FP4, and that one will be given normal development in Perceptol developer.  Once I get around to processing that one, I will compare the two and see which is better.
This shot was taken with a wide Schneider Apo-Symmar 110mm lens and a #25 Red Filter.  The exposure was F22.0 and a shutter speed of 1/8 second.  I was striving to show the old weathered split cedar post in the foreground and hold depth of focus.  I think it worked, despite the mixup.



No comments:

Post a Comment