Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Fallen Leaves and Colin Range

I shot this one in October of 2022 when I was out in Jasper National Park with the gang from the Monochrome Guild, for our annual Fall Photo Weekend.  It was taken up along the shore of Medicine Lake.  I was drawn to the accumulation of fallen leaves on the foreground boulder.  This rock surface was actually fairly high up, and I had to extend my tripod fully in order to include it in the foreground.  It was a challenge to hold depth of field between the very close up foreground leaves, and the distant Colin Range in the background.  I think I managed to hold everything, but a large print would be the determining factor.
I shot this with my Ebony 4x5 view camera and a somewhat wide Fujinon-W 125mm lens.  It was taken on Kodak Tri-X Pan 320 sheet film developed normally in PMK developer.  I used a #58 Green filter to deepen the sky a little, and to attempt to lighten some of the foreground foliage.  Those few remaining leaves were not very green at this late point in the season, so I'm not sure the filter really helped much.  It would have brightened up the background evergreen forest a little though.  If I were to print this one I would likely attempt to bleach the fallen leaves a little and brighten them up somewhat.  But I am generally happy with the way it turned out and like the composition.



No comments: