Saturday, February 11, 2023

Cabinets Almost Done

I got up earlier than I usually do, on Monday February 6th.  I was up at 7:00AM... over an hour before the official sunrise.  But, because the sun actually has to clear Eagle Peak before we can see it, the true sunrise is a little later than that.  I had a shower and breakfast in the morning and then checked messages and what not on my computer.  I sent birthday greetings to my middle brother Greg, who turns 58 on this day...
It was shortly after 9:00 when I wandered over to the guest cottage and went to work.  My original plan was to work until around lunch time, and then head out for a drive in the afternoon with my cameras.  But, it was heavily overcast, and got very windy, so I decided to just keep working.  I took a short break and went over to Scott's place to pick up a couple of large cable spools that he needs returned to his supplier in Edmonton.  There is a hefty deposit on these things, so he is anxious to get them back....
In the morning I got the third section of the kitchen cabinets put together.  It was kind of slow going, because this section is larger than the other two, and a little cumbersome for me to work on by myself.  But it eventually all came together.  I discovered that I made a couple of minor cutting errors that I had to fix up, but that was relatively easy considering that the cabinets will be painted.  The minor patching and adjustments that I made will not show through the paint.
After picking up those cable spools it was obvious that getting out with the cameras, even briefly, was not an option.  My weather station, which is very sheltered in the trees, was recording wind gusts approaching 20kmh.  But I know from past experience that this means that out in the open, the winds are probably close to triple that.  So I continued with installing the hardwood facing onto the third cabinet.  This time around I was little smarter, and remembered to paint the interior exposed edges before I installed them onto the cabinet.  
On Tuesday my plan was to get up early again.  I would sand out the filler that I put on the nail holes and then give a final two coats of paint to the exterior of the third cabinet.  Then, while I had the paint in a tray, and a roller dirty, I would do the other two cabinets as well.   This way the paint could dry, while temperatures remain very mild, and not ice up all the windows in the cottage.  Hopefully if the winds are not as strong on Tuesday, I can get out for a little while with my camera, in the afternoon.







No comments: