Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Back to Nordegg

I returned to Nordegg on the afternoon of January 31st.  It was really nice to get out of the city and back to the mountains.  In fact the weather in Nordegg was nicer than what I left in the city.  The temperature peaked at about -4C, and there was six inches of fresh snow... a winter wonderland...!
I felt totally lacking in motivation on Wednesday February 1st.  It cooled off quite a bit overnight and during the day.  It was -9 at dawn, and then dropped to about -12 during the day, and -14 by late afternoon.  It felt really cold too, because it was heavily overcast with no sun, and the humidity was high at around 85%.
I unloaded some materials, and took some waste to the dump, but didn't really accomplish much else.  The cold is supposed to be short lived and by the weekend it is forecast to be partly sunny and slightly above freezing.  I spent the day figuring out a cut list of materials for the next cabinet, and then working on some photo submission stuff on my laptop.
By early evening, when the outside hockey game was scheduled to start in town, it had cooled off even more.  By game time it was down to -17C and the humidity was up to 92%.  I was chilled from the little bit of time I had spent outside and just couldn't warm up.  I decided to skip the game and stay by the fire in the cottage.
By the morning of Thursday February 2nd, Groundhog Day, it had warmed up nicely.  It was only about -4 in the morning and by afternoon it got up to above freezing.  It started out partly sunny in the morning but then clouded over and got really breezy in the afternoon.  It was certainly a pleasant day, but didn't feel quite as warm as the thermometer suggested.  To bad this wasn't the day scheduled for the hockey game.
I spent a good part of the day working in the cabin.  First job was to pull out the tablesaw and rip up a bunch of the hardwood that I brought out.  I cut enough to face the second cabinet, and also cut right away for the as yet unbuilt third cabinet.  I installed the maple facing onto the second cabinet, and then started cutting plywood parts for the third.  I didn't get all the parts cut up, but I did cut the ones that need plastic laminate glued onto them.  This is the floor and the interior shelves.  I got the laminate glued on as well, and then called it a day.
I have the first and second cabinet sections sitting on furniture dollies.  This allows me to move them around easily as I need to.  Its starting to get a little crowded in the cottage.  Once I have the third section built I will paint them all, then then set them into place.  That should provide a little more space to begin construction of the pantry and the bathroom vanity.




No comments: