Sunday, February 12, 2023

Last Day in Nordegg

Tuesday February 7th was my last day in Nordegg... for a little while.  But, the cottage will not be empty for long, as shortly after I leave, my oldest daughter Hailey is to arrive and stay for a few days.
On this last day of working in the guest cottage... for the time being... I finished up the three cabinet sections.  I sanded out all the filler on the third section, and then applied a coat of primer.  After that I dug out a small roller and finished all the exterior exposed surfaces of all three cabinets with two coats of paint.  When I return in the future I will have to make all the cabinet doors, and start on the drawers.  I believe I have all the materials needed, so it will just be a matter of getting busy.
I was finished with the painting around lunch time, and as it was fairly sunny, with not much wind, I decided to go for a drive with my camera.  I started heading west, thinking I would check out the ice conditions on Abraham Lake.  But, it was obvious that there was heavy cloud hanging in the valley, and the light would not be very good.  So I decided to stay closer to Nordegg.  I went down to where Highway 11 crosses Shunda Creek, below Beaverdam Lake.  I've noticed that there is always open water here, even when temperatures are bitterly cold.  I wandered down along the creek and despite the days of mild temperatures, there was still a lot of snow, and I managed to fill my boots.  But, I also got three setups done with the view camera.
2022 was a record year for me and I shot over 600 sheets of 4x5 Black and White film.  Despite that, I didn't take my first shot of the year until near the end of March.  This year I have already shot over 20 sheets, and it is just the beginning of February.  I'm not striving to shoot quantity over quality, but I do find that if I get out and shoot regularly, I see better, I stay in better practice with the camera, and better images result.  It is always difficult to get back to shooting after a long pause, and I am trying to avoid that this year.







No comments: