Monday, February 20, 2023

Family Day

Margarit and I headed out to Nordegg on February 18th for the Family Day long weekend.  We were hoping that our girls would come along, so we could spend the weekend together as the holiday suggests.  But, being three young girls... the younger two in their teens... they wanted nothing to do with Mom and Dad, and so they stayed home in the city.
Margarit and I spent a nice, relaxing couples weekend out at the cottage.  I had to play hockey on Friday night with the Renegades.  We played the first place team and spanked them 9-1.  The next morning, we hit the road.  We made a stop in Rimbey at James Grill and had a really nice lunch.  
On Saturday evening I headed over to the outside rink in Nordegg and played hockey again.  It was a nice mild evening and the temperature only got down to around -4.  About 20 skaters showed up, but for the first time this year, that I have attended, there were no goalies.  The rink is only about 3/4 size and that sort of forces us to play 4 on 4, rather than the typical 5 on 5.  So only about half my time was spent on the ice, and the other half sitting on the boards.  But it was fun, and I had a good skate all the same.
On Sunday we dropped off some garbage at the dump, and then took a drive up the Trunk Road to the Blackstone River.  It was dull and overcast, a little breezy, and starting to snow.  We didn't see any wildlife, and there was nothing that compelled me to take out my camera.  In the evening we made a nice prime rib dinner and then just relaxed together in the cottage.
It continued to snow through Sunday afternoon and evening, and when I got up on holiday Monday, the snow was still lightly falling and we had about 3 inches of fresh stuff.  It was another pretty low key day.  I was awake at 6:30 and puttered around on some stuff while Margarit slept in.  I went over to the guest cottage and used the chop saw to cut up a bunch of picture frames.  Later we went for a nice walk around the subdivision, and the sun even broke out a little.  By late afternoon it got really windy and began to snow again.  There is a heavy snowfall warning in place and the forecast calls for us to get six to eight inches overnight.  
I went out for a spin on the old 1979 Yamaha snowmobile... but I couldn't get the new 2017 Skidoo to start.  I'm not sure what's wrong with it, and will have to troubleshoot it a little.  Later in the evening we just settled down in the cottage and got a fire going and had a nice dinner together. 






No comments: