Friday, November 4, 2022

Film/Developer Combinations - Agfapan 25 verses Kodak Tri-X Pan 320

Here is an example of two different films and developers.  Obviously both were shot at the same place, moments apart.  The one on the left was shot on Agfapan 25 and developed in Rodinal 1:50.  The shot on the right was taken on Kodak Tri-X Pan 320 and developed in PMK Pyro.  The images look very different.  Obviously a much slower shutter speed was used on the slower Agfa film, and the water in the background is softer and more blurred.  But other than that, the tonality, grain, shadow values and highlights are quite distinct.  Whenever I am out shooting with my view cameras I always make a point of exposing two sheets of film.  The films are always different, as is the development.  This provides a number of benefits.  First it gives me negatives with two different looks.  It also gives me experience working with different film and developer combinations.  Finally, it gives me a backup negative, in case I mess something up in exposure, loading, unloading, handling or processing.



No comments: