Friday, November 11, 2022

A More Productive Day

On Saturday November 5th, feeling a little more ambitious, I went to work in the guest cottage.  I got started around 11:00AM, when it warmed up a little, and got a fire going in the wood stove.  I have the forced air electric furnace running in the cottage as well, but keep it turned down quite low.  It doesn't take very long for the stove to warm things up.
I worked through most of the day and wrapped things up around 4:30.  That was just in time to head over to the main cottage and catch the end of the Oilers game.  What a waste of time, and in hindsight, I should have just kept working a little longer.  The Oilers embarrased themselves and got blasted 6-2 by the visiting Dallas Stars.
While I was over in the guest cottage I got a lot accomplished... unlike my previous attempt.  This time I finished installation of the subfloor in the second bedroom.  There is only one small area near the woodstove that remains but at the moment I have our kitchen range stored there.  Once I am able to move the range into final position, I will finish the subfloor in this last area.
Then I moved upstairs to the loft.  The trim boards that I finished with lacquer the day prior were now dry, so I was able to install them.  There are trim boards on the seams between diagonal and horizontal paneling, as well as at all the edges.  In a couple of places I had to notch around electrical receptacles.  It seems I will have three sheets of underlay left over so I've decided that I should buy a couple more, and this will provide enough material to install underlay up in the loft.  Then later I can install some kind of flooring material up there and use this overflow space for storage.  At that point there will be two small pieces of corner trim to install, as well as some baseboard.  But for now the loft is finished as far as I can go.
I discovered that my range hood did not come with a mounting bracket for wall mount.  I guess the most common application is to mount a hood under a cupboard.  But wall mount is what I need to do, so this complicated things.  Apparently the bracket comes with a separate and expensive duct enclosure kit that I chose not to purchase.  So, now I have to make some kind of bracket.  I picked up a small piece of steel angle when I was in Rocky Mountain House on Thursday and attempted to make a bracket.  I'm sure the bracket will work, but it turns out I don't have the right size of metric screws to attach it to the hood.  Building in a remote location sure comes with its share of challenges...!
I moved on to some electrical work and installed some switches and a light fixture in the kitchen.  I can't energize the circuit yet though as the range hood is on the same one.
I'm not sure what I'll be able to work on over the rest of my stay out at Nordegg.  I'm running out of supplies to continue with much more and only have a few little odds and ends to keep busy with.  The next time I come out I will have to bring some additional materials.





No comments: