Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Back to Work in Nordegg

I headed out to Nordegg on Sunday October 30th.  I had to play hockey on the 29th, and didn't want to miss another game.  The Renegades played the Knights at Clare Drake Arena and we won... 10-3.  We are in second place in our division with a record of 7 wins and 1 loss.  The first place team has 7 wins and one overtime loss, so they are just barely ahead of us.
Hailey and Anna went to see a show in Calgary on October 29th, and then headed over to the cottage afterwards.  So, when I arrived on the afternoon of the 30th, they were already there.  I made them a dinner of Mexican food... enchiladas, mexican rice and refried beans.  Later that evening they jumped into the ATV and headed over to the historic cemetery in town.  I think they were kind of hoping they might experience some Halloween ghosts, but I'm told there were none to be seen.  By the time they made it back to the cottage just before midnight, it had started snowing heavily.
The next morning the girls hit the road for home.  Hailey had to work later on the evening of October 31st, and Anna needed to get back to school.  I understand that the highways were snow covered, but they made it home without incident.  I had some treats ready to hand out for Halloween, but no kids came around.  Last year there were about a dozen or so that came around... but nothing this year.  I later found out that the community association had a sign up sheet so that those that were handing out treats could be on the list.  They did a crappy job of letting residents know as I only found out about it second hand.
On Tuesday November 1 I did a dump run in the morning and got rid of some garbage.  Although the dump had been open for a couple of hours by the time I got there, the attendant told me I was the first visitor of the day.  With temperatures fairly mild I installed the steel gate that I had brought out, onto the driveway of the guest cottage.  My contractor had poured a couple of concrete footings for me earlier in the fall.  I brought Margarit's Epoxy slab full of pebbles out with me.  The mold has now been knocked off, and it looks pretty good.  I used my router to round over the edges.  That's the reason I brought it out to Nordegg, because the router and most of my tools are out here.  Now Margarit can finish it by sanding it all out, and then doing one final pour of a thin top coat of epoxy.
On Wednesday it remained fairly cold and snowy so I just puttered around in the guest cottage.  I installed an extra light down in the basement, and drilled through a cable for an internet antenna.  Then I worked on finishing up the aspen paneling on the main loft.
On Thursday I blasted in to Rocky Mountain House and picked up an antique dresser that Margarit had purchased last time she was out.  The highways were snow covered, but driving was pretty good and traffic was light.  With the temperature fairly mild I pulled out my tablesaw in the afternoon, once I got back to the cottage, and cut up some trim boards, and the top partial row of paneling for the last two walls.  Later in the evening my neighbor Dan came over.  We had a bunch of chicken wings that I made on the grill, and then visited for a while.  I got him to give me a hand bringing in the cabinet, and carrying it upstairs into the living room.
On Friday it was heavily overcast and felt rather ominous, but the temperature was very mild and peaked near zero.  I got three coats of lacquer applied to the trim that I had made the day before, and then cleaned out the second bedroom.  I made enough space to be able to install most of the subfloor.  While I was working three loads of fill dirt got delivered and dumped in the driveway.  I guess it remains to be seen if the weather allows this to get spread this fall, or if that will have to wait until spring.  The heavy mood of the leaden skies carried into my work ambition and by the time the day was done, I felt like not much had been accomplished.
I plan on staying out for a few more days so hopefully I'm able to accomplish a little more before I have to go back home to the city.









No comments: