Thursday, October 20, 2022

Night Churches

This is an old negative that I shot many years ago.  The girls and I headed to Saskatchewan with our trailer.  It was late August of 2013.  We invited my Mom to come along.  My Dad had recently moved into long term care and Mom was finally able to get a break from being the sole caregiver.  We stopped on the first night at the Mud Buttes in southern Alberta and got caught in a severe thunderstorm.  The next day we moved on to Saskatchewan and camped in a little town called Loverna.  Margarit and I had been here before, and in fact many years later I would return as part of the crew on the Forgotten Prairie documentary. 
On August 31st, at around 11:00PM, I attempted this shot of the two churches in town.  I used a 300mm lens to get in fairly tight on them.  I guessed at the exposure as my meter would not register these low light levels.  I tried a 10 minute exposure, and it worked pretty well.  I shot this on Kodak Tri-X Pan film and developed in PMK Developer.
As it turned out, my father passed away that night.  We got word from my brother that he had come down with a serious blood infection and did not make it through the night.  Needless to say it was a very long and sad drive back to Edmonton the next morning... and it took a long time before Mom could forgive herself for not being by his side.....



No comments: