Sunday, October 16, 2022

Back to Nordegg

Hailey and Helena headed out to Nordegg on a Thursday near the end of September.  They headed out after Hailey worked a shift that ended at 9:30PM.  So, they didn't hit the road until around 10:30, and didn't arrive at the cottage until about 2:00AM.  Needless to say Margarit and I were a little worried and not very impressed.  The girls spent a few days at the cottage together and then headed back to the city on October 2nd.
We had a Sunday Brunch with my brothers families and my Mom on October 2nd.  This was sort of an early Thanksgiving get together, as we aren't all available on the actual holiday.  It was a nice visit, and after brunch we went for a walk in Mill Creek Ravine.
Later that afternoon I took my Mom back home to her place and then hit the road for Nordegg.  Of course my girls all had to stay back in the city as they have school from Monday to Friday, plus Hailey is getting a lot of shifts at work in recent weeks.
I arrived out at the cottage just as the sun was going down, and unpacked and settled in for the evening.  The fall colors were in full swing back in Edmonton, but in Nordegg they are even more advanced.  This is the result of being 2000 feet higher in elevation.
On Monday I took a load of garbage to the dump.  The weather continued to be really mild and pleasant.  Back in Edmonton it was 26 degrees when we got together for brunch.  This pattern continued out in Nordegg and it remained very sunny and mild.  After my run to the dump I played a round of golf at the Historic Course in town.  Later in the evening I unpacked the fridge that I had brought out a couple of weeks prior, and moved it into position in our guest cottage kitchen.
On Tuesday I ran my old 2004 Dodge Ram into Rocky Mountain House.  It had been damaged in the hail storm back in late July and I needed an estimate for the insurance company.  I had arranged with one of the local body shops to have this done.  After that I picked up a few groceries to replace some that I had forgotten back in the city, and then blasted back out to Nordegg.  Once again, the weather was exceptionally mild so I decided to play another round of golf.  This time I played two balls for the nine holes... so I got in an 18 hole game, but only had to walk the course once.  For the first time since I started playing I broke 50... with both of the balls I played.  I shot a score of 49 with one and 47 with the other.  Not exactly any bragging rights attached to this, considering the course is open and easy and par 32.  But, I've only started playing again a few weeks ago, after a 40 year break.  I look forward to next season when I can play more consistently.  After the round of golf I went back to work in the yard and split a bunch more firewood.  I did some of this on Monday as well.  Just trying to get the woodpiles stocked back up so that we have lots of fuel for the cold winter months.
On Wednesday I got serious about working in the cottage.  I have so much stuff in there, that it is difficult to work.  I spent an hour and a half cutting up some picture frame stock for upcoming projects and then after that I got to work.  I had to move a whole bunch of tools, materials and supplies out of the way.  Then I got busy on installing some subfloor.  I started this earlier in the year, but then left it as I moved on to other things.  By early afternoon on Thursday I had subfloor complete, including what I had done previously, to the bathroom, the kitchen, most of the living room and one bedroom.  I still have a couple more working days left and hope to get most of this finished up before I leave.









No comments: