Friday, October 21, 2022

A Busy Week in Nordegg

I arrived out at the cottage on the evening of October 2nd, and stayed until the morning of the 9th.  The girls had school and work so they all stayed home in the city, and I was out by myself.
During the week it was fairly busy in the subdivision as there are a number of cottages under construction.  There have been five foundations poured in the last few weeks, in addition to all of the other cottages that are further along in construction.  There are only a handful of four or five lots left that have not started building yet.
For the latter half of the week, with some of my other chores completed and out of the way, I set to work more seriously in the guest cottage.  The weather has been exceptionally mild all week.  On Friday I took a break from working and went and played another round of golf.  Every time I expect it to be the last round of the year, but then the weather keeps hanging on.  Once again I played two balls, and for most of the round I was the only player on the course.  My scores weren't great... one ball was 50 and the other 47.
With that out of my system, I went back over to the guest cottage and kept working.  I got aspen paneling installed to the main wall in the cottage.  This is an interior wall that spans the width of the cottage and separates the two bedrooms from the living area.  The last couple of inches at the top need some boards ripped down in width and I didn't have time to dig out the tablesaw before I wrapped things up.  But I did finish the last of the subfloor at the base of that wall.  The only subfloor remaining is a small area between the entrance door and the wood stove.  Right now I have our kitchen range stored here, and can't move it by myself.  The second bedroom also needs to done, but I have my chopsaw set up in there right now.  I also worked on some of the electrical stuff as I went along.  I connected the range plug in the kitchen, and then did the receptacles in the main wall.  I also mounted the thermostat properly.
Earlier in the week I got a bunch of firewood split and stacked.  Four trees came down behind the cottage over the past year and I cut those up when I was out a few weeks ago.  This time around I finished splitting the last of those logs and started a new wood pile over by the guest cottage.  I also split a bunch more from the big log pile in our yard, and replenished the stack beside the garage.  I burnt this entire pile of wood last winter.  I now have it almost full again... though I think this time around I may have piled it a little higher.
I spent Saturday evening tidying up the cottage.  I swept the floor, took out the garbage, washed the dishes, vacuumed the rugs and generally got packed up to go home.  I headed home first thing on Sunday morning and joined the girls back in the city for Thanksgiving Dinner.










No comments: