Wednesday, July 28, 2021

The Cake

Anna had her heart set on baking a Black Forest Cherry Cake.  She gave her mother a list of all the ingredients she needed and I brought them back out with me to the cottage after my hockey game.  Anna wanted me to give her a hand with the baking, but we didn't get as early a start as she would have liked, as I was helping with the subfloor of the guest cottage.  When she finally did get started in the afternoon, she realized that she had missed adding a couple of the ingredients to the shopping list she gave her Mom.  She was very upset about this.  So, I told her to give me a little longer to finish up helping the guys with the subfloor, and then I would take her to Rocky Mountain House to get the things we were missing.  While I was finishing up, she walked over to Shunda Creek and released the Toad that we had caught.  
I left the crew to finish up the last few sheets of plywood on the subfloor, and took Anna to Rocky Mountain House.  We got all the things that she needed, but didn't make it back out to the cottage until shortly after 7:00PM.  It ended up being nearly midnight by the time she finished baking her cake.  In between that I grilled some smokies and made a big batch of potato salad.  We had supper and watched a show on the DVD player while the cake chilled in the fridge.  Anna decided that she was too tired and too full to have any cake at this late point in the evening.  So, we waited until the next morning and had it for breakfast.  It was delicious, and she did an excellent job.  I'm not much of a fan of sweet desserts but even I liked this one.
Then the next day she passed out slices of cake to Frank, and our next door neighbors Rob and Dan.  They all agreed that it was delicious, and she had to hold some back to make sure that her Mom got a taste.






No comments: