Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Forgotten Dresses

While Anna and I were out at Nordegg, I worked on yet another water color.  Once again this was based on one of my photographs.  As with my last couple of pieces, I did the water color painting first, and then accented it with pen and pencil.  Anna selected the image from a bunch of my photos that I brought along.  This one was a little different from the last two, as it is not an exterior view of an old building.  Although I like the dry brushing technique that works well for old weathered siding, I wanted to expand and try something different.  
The painting was worked on during the heatwave that gripped western Canada in late June.  We saw daytime highs get up to 40C.  It was too hot to do much of anything outside on those days, so when we retreated to the cottage, I often puttered away on this painting.  The snapshots below show the progression from layout sketch, to water color painting, to pen work, to graphite accents with pencil.













No comments: