Saturday, May 13, 2023

Nordegg

I arrived out at the cottage in the afternoon of May 7th, after a brief visit to East Coulee.  There was no smoke, no smell and no flames, despite all the wildfire warning in the media.  I think I must have received a half dozen emergency alert notices on the cell phone over the past couple of days.  The fire near Nordegg was burning along the south shore of the North Saskatchewan River, about halfway between The Gap in the Brazeau Range, and the Forestry Trunk Road.  I watched for any sign of smoke or flames as I came over Saunders Ridge on Highway 11, and had a clear view of The Gap, but couldn't see anything.  It was announced that the fire was contained and the evacuation alert lifted, early on Sunday evening.
On Monday I was up at first light at 6:00AM and after morning coffee and breakfast, I went to work.  I got the last two breakers installed into the electrical panel.  I thought I might put the counter receptacles in, and finish up the junction boxes for the tank alarms, but I didn't have all the materials I needed.  But the electrical is pretty much done now, and next time I come out I'll bring supplies and finish up the last odds and ends.
I used the baltic birch plywood that I picked up from the shop in East Coulee and built the last two drawers for the cabinets.  I also dug out the table saw and cut the last of the drawer fronts and cabinet doors from the stock of 1/2"in MDF that I had set aside.  I even cut the doors for the pantry that I have yet to build.  Then I primed and painted everything.  This included three finish coats on all the exposed surfaces, including the vanity that I finished last time I was out.
I had a load of water delivered so now the cistern is full.  I'll be ready to prime the pump and test the water system the next time that Leondard can come up to finish up the last few mechanical details.
I visited with my contractor Scott on Tuesday evening and picked up a couple electronics from him.  This included the internet antenna, and the communicator for the solar system.  Then I foolishly decided to stay up until 1:30 in the morning listening to music and strumming my guitar.
On Wednesday morning I woke up with a few cobwebs, but got back to work at a pretty early hour.  It was raining in the morning, and we got about 3mm, after a couple of days of just drizzle.  After the showers ended I installed the internet antenna and got the internet set up and working.  It was pretty much just plug and play, so I really didn't do anything.  In the afternoon I took some garbage to the dump and then finished up the bathroom vanity.  I got the doors and the drawer installed and then set the unit into place in the bathroom.  Things are coming along.....









No comments: