Friday, January 27, 2023

Whiskeyjacks

We have always had Whiskeyjacks around our place at Nordegg.  They are also know as Gray Jays, Canada Jays, and Camp Robbers.  They don't hang around, but are transient, and regularly pass through.  The past couple of years we've had a group of three that came and went.  On Janauary 19th, as I quit work for the day in the guest cottage, I noticed a group of four.  I promptly got some nuts out of the garage and tried to get them to come and eat out of my hand.  In the past if I let out a few whistles, and held the nuts in my outstretched hand, some of them would come and perch on my hand and feed.  Even then, some were skittish and would only come to my feet and pick up anything that was dropped.
This time they came very close... and swooped by me... and would feed right at my feet.  But none would land on me and eat from my hand.  I put the nuts out on a log by our bird feeder... and then added another big handful.  Within 20 minutes or so they were all gone.  They pack them away and hide them up in trees.  I'm not sure how many they actually eat, and how many get stolen by the squirrels.
I understand that these birds mate for life.  Groups of three are the most common and it is usually a mated pair, plus last year's offspring.  I'm not sure if this group of four is the same couple... perhaps with twins from last summer... or if it is a different group.  In any event, I sure like to see them come around.  I haven't fed them much in recent months so if I stick to it the next little while, I'm sure I'll have them eating out of my hand again, sooner rather than later....





No comments: