Monday, January 30, 2023

Running out of Work

On Saturday January 21st I went back to work in the guest cottage.  Once again I thought about going out for an afternoon drive, but it remained overcast for most of the day.  The temperature was very mild, and got up to +7C late in the afternoon.  For the last hour or two before sunset the skies cleared in the west and it became sunny.
I spent the day assembling the second section of the kitchen cabinets.  The first one was fairly easy as it was only 33" long.  The second was a little more challenging as it is 48" and getting a little awkward to set together by myself.  But, this section didn't have any interior dividers, so that helped to make assembly for one a little easier.  The third section will be bigger yet, at around 70".
This second cabinet goes in the corner of the L-shaped section.  That's why there is a large blank panel on side of it.  The third section, which includes the sink, will butt up to this panel.
With this section essentially done, I was kind of running out of things to do.  I didn't have enough hardwood with me to finish the face of the exposed part.  I did have more plywood for the next section, but don't have any plans drawn up yet.  So, I decided to brush paint the face of the first cabinet.
Then I spent some time taking dimensions for the next cabinet.  It will be a little more complicated in that it is not only larger, but also needs an opening in the bottom and the back to allow the plumbing to enter.  I also have to take into account proper spacing for the installation of the kitchen sink.  I confirmed all these measurements and made some rough sketches.  I will take these back to the city with me and prepare some proper plans for the third section.  I should probably also do some for the bathroom vanity at the same time.
I spent the late afternoon preparing a batch of my beef stroganoff.  I left that ready for a later supper and went over to the rink to play hockey.  The ice was in surprisingly good shape considering the mild temperatures during the day.  Once again we had two goalies and about a dozen skaters, and played for a couple of hours.  After the game I went back home, warmed up my dinner, and then caught the end of the Oilers game on TV.





No comments: