Saturday, January 28, 2023

Parts Ready for Number Two

I thought about going out for a drive with my camera on Friday January 20th.... but the sun only busted out for a little while in the morning, and then it clouded over.  The temperatue wasn't bad, and it got up to about +2 in the afternoon.  There was almost no wind, so it was quite pleasant, the light just wasn't great.  Rather than waste time and fuel driving around and not accomplishing much I decided to spend the day working in the guest cottage.
I flush trimmed the plastic laminate that I had glued on the floor and shelf panels the day prior.  Then I put a coat of the pastel blue paint on all of the surfaces that will be exposed to the interior, on all of the parts that I previously cut.  Once that paint had dried, I dug out my router, and cut all the rabbets and dados.  It is a little challenging to visualize how all the pieces go together in three dimensions.  The AutoCad drawing that I prepared back home, before I came out, was very helpful.
Once I had all the routing finished, I gave all the panels a second coat of paint.  It is much easier to paint them when they are laying out flat on a work surface, as opposed to trying to do it inside an assembled cabinet.  Not to mention that it prevents getting spills and brush marks on the plastic laminate.  I'm hoping I have a chance to put this second cabinet together before I have to head back to the city.  If the weather is nice and the sun pops out, it will be a toss up between millwork and photography...!





No comments: