Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Back to Work

Margarit decided to head back to the city on the afternoon of December 31st.  I spent New Year's Eve by myself at the cottage.  I headed into town in the afternoon, with all my gear, to play outside hockey.  The local volunteers made a big deal of it, and played the national anthem, and set off some fireworks in advance of all the players hitting the ice.  I arrived shortly after the festivities to find that the rink was overrun.  There were at least two dozen little kids on the ice, plus a handful of old guys standing around on the sidelines.  It seemed that a serious hockey game was not to be, so myself and the other adults conceded the ice to the kids.  I took off my skates and headed back to the cottage.  There I watched the Work Junior Hockey Championships on TV and had some leftovers for dinner.  My friend Eric came over for a brief visit and we watched the Oilers game on TV for a while and toasted the occasion with a beer.  He headed back to his place around 10:00, and I stayed up until midnight and saw the calendar turn the page.
On New Year's Day I got up and had a shower, breakfast and my morning coffee.  Then I headed over to the guest cottage and went to work.  I started by setting up my router to cut rabbets and dadoes into the plywood cabinet panels that I had previously cut up.  Of course I fucked up the first one I cut, and of course that was the bottom panel, that had plastic laminate on it.  So I carried on with the rest of the panels including the sides, the back, and the intermediate shelves.  Then I cut a new piece of plywood for the floor and contact cemented a new piece of laminate to it.  After that I proceeded to paint all of the panels with the pastel blue paint that I am finishing with.  I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to start assembling all the pieces this time around, but it will be on my agenda next time.









No comments: