Monday, June 20, 2022

Thursday

The rain tapered off on the afternoon of Wednesday June 15th and that evening the sun actually broke out a little.   Thursday morning dawned sunny and clear.  It was really nice to see blue skies for a change.  It is really humid after all the rain, and there's lots of standing water, so it was not a surprise to see that the blue skies became cloudy by mid afternoon and there were some late day showers.  It seems we will remain in this unsettled weather pattern for some time to come.
After morning coffee I set to work in the guest cottage.  With the rain-free conditions I dug out my table saw and ripped down some aspen paneling.  The last row of every surface generally has to be cut to fit.  So I trimmed down boards to use at the top of the exterior bathroom wall, on the ceiling in the second bedroom, along the base at the west end of the loft, on the upper west wall, and at the top of the kitchen wall.  Once this was all cut, I set about installing it all.  When that installation was complete I moved on to the stainless steel reflector panel that I had made for behind the wood stove.  I drilled holes in it and mounted it on standoffs behind the stove.  Once that was complete I put in a section of duct from the bathroom exhaust fan, to the vent on the small loft.  That all took me the better part of the day and when that was done, I decided to call it quits.
I only have about 20 aspen boards left, so I will have to bring some more out next time I come.  But I have most of the outside walls done now, and can now move to some of the interior rooms.  It has been a very productive week so far, and I can still keep working a little more before I run out of material.
Late in the day as I was finishing up, I looked out the kitchen window and there was our resident fox.  It was digging in the dirt right in front of the cottage by our septic tank.  I'm not sure exactly what it was doing... maybe trying to bury something... but when it heard me, it took off.
Later in the afternoon I took a spin into town.  Having been out at Nordegg for over a week now, I ran out of beer and had to pick some up.  Mostly I wanted to attend the open house at the Community Hall.  West Fraser, the forestry company that works in the area, was putting it on to offer information to residents about their planned activities for the next couple of years.  Of course a for profit company paints a picture of a good corporate citizen, but I took in the information with that in mind.







No comments: