Friday, June 17, 2022

Working Day Saturday

One of the reasons that I wanted to be out at Nordegg on the weekend was because the chimney sweep was coming around.  Saturday June 11th dawned overcast and a little unsettled.  Through the morning there was a sprinkling of rain on several occasions.  I was concerned that the sweep would not be able to get up on the slippery metal roofs.  But, the rains were shortlived and mixed with periods of sun.  By afternoon the rain and quit and the sun struggled out a little.  I had the chimney's on both cottages cleaned.  There was some buildup of creosote, but nothing that was approaching a dangerous level.  Its nice to have this looked after now, and I am probably good for the next year or two.
Later in the afternoon once the chimney service was out of the way I went to work in the guest cottage.  I continued with applying lacquer to the aspen boards that I had brought out some weeks ago.  Most of them were finished on my last visit, but there remained about 20 boards left to deal with.  In addition to that I applied a second coat of primer to the plywood backing behind the wood stove.  I also hooked up the plumbing lines to the shower valve, and installed the plywood backing there.
Later I decided that I'd better take advantage of the decent weather, and started splitting some firewood.  There was some heavy rain in the forecast and I expected that the outside work would not be possible in the days to come.  I worked for about three hours and split a bunch of longs.  This begins to replenish the large pile of wood that I burned over the past winter.







No comments: