Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Thanksgiving

The girls and I spent Thanksgiving out at the cottage together.  I went out on October 6th with a big load of construction materials, and some of the prints for the Coal show.  I had a couple of sheets of cold roll steel in my truck for my neighbor Dan, and I helped him to unload those, and later to install them.  He was mounting them on the wall of his cottage, around his fireplace.
I puttered around unloading all my stuff and installing locks on the guest cottage.  I had our septic tank emptied and a load of water delivered.  It seems we can get away with doing this only twice a year as the last time was around April.  Margarit and the two younger girls drove out on Friday after school.  Hailey came out much later that evening, after work.
We bought a huge farm turkey and it was delivered to the house in the city on Friday.  Margarit brought it along when she came out.
We had our Thanksgiving feast on Saturday, as Hailey had to drive back home on Sunday evening, to work on Monday.  I puttered around in the guest cottage on Saturday while Margarit got the turkey ready for the oven.  We put it in around 3:00, but it was huge, and it was stuffed, so it wasn't ready until nearly 8:00PM.  So it was a rather late Thanksgiving dinner.  The turkey was delicious and very tasty and moist.  I think we will bite the bullet and spend a little more and get a fresh one from now on.
I started snowing on Saturday morning and continued throughmost of the day.  The weather didn't improve much after that.  It snowed off and on during the day on Sunday, and again on Monday.  Margarit helped me work in the guest cottage on Sunday, and then Hailey headed home that evening.  On Monday, the rest of the girls hit the road for home around lunch time.  It snowed fairly heavily at times on Thanksgiving Monday, but the sun busted out a little, and the temperature struggled up to 2 or 3 degrees above freezing.  Much of the snow we got on Saturday melted, but some remains in the shady spots.  I'm kind of hoping we get some mild weather through the rest of October so that I can get the guest cottage set up to work on through the winter.  You never know in the mountains.... I have seen snow here every month of the year....!



No comments: